How was your run today?

Drhysted

Started my “weekend” by taking Quiver out for a quick 5 miler Sunday morning instead of going to bed, as we were out at silly hour (nice and cool) I let Quiver run off lead, so I did 5 miles Quiver did much more. Then Monday I had a hiccup with the broadband which took all of the morning and most of the afternoon to cure, then the rest of the afternoon was spent breaking old concrete then laying new concrete. So I only got time for a short 4.75 miles at nearly 6pm. Popped a quick 5.5 miler in yesterday afternoon, then finished off my weekend today with an 8.99 miler covering a section of the Test Way (yes 8.99 is a stupid distance but I didn’t realise until after I’d stopped otherwise I’d have done the extra 0.01 mile).
Feeling pretty good, I’m still icing my Achilles after runs as they are still becoming irritated. After icing they’re fine and thankfully so far my calf’s haven’t played up for quite a while.

TriTom

Lunch run, overcast and windy all morning, came to lunch time and the sun came out... I know I shouldn’t complain.... so I won’t.
Left leg felt like shin splints and right leg felt fine, then left leg felt fine and right leg started to hurt.
Going to do some strengthening for the tendon/muscle in the front of my shin tibialis something or other.
Anyway 8.6km in 40 odd minutes, last km was fairly quick and felt good heart rate/breathing wise, think it helped my legs as well stretching them out a little.

TriTom

Just got back, really didn’t feel I had the energy to go out but did with no particular plan other than minimum 5km at a slow pace.
It felt like I was on the borderline threshold all the way but felt really slow, as if I would be walking if I slowed anymore, but just looked at Strava and it was 6.7km at 5.01/km pace, so reasonably ‘quick’ for a slow run.

TriTom

Was away last week and didn’t run due to a bit of what felt like the start of ‘shin splints’ in my left leg so figured I would do the sensible thing and enjoy being away without the pressure of squeezing a run in, did junior parkrun on Sunday with the kids and leg was ok ish so ran yesterday lunch time, 5.4km in 28 mins, nice and steady with no great expectations, sun came out so it was reasonably warm.
Group from work we’re going out for a bike ride straight from work, I don’t usually join them on a weekend but thought I’d go as it was a nice evening and straight from work so no extra travel time, I’m not expert but they are definitely amateurs, 1st 2/3km I thought it was a big mistake but got warmed up and it was fine for the rest of the ride.

TriTom

Lunch run today, legs still a bit tired from Monday’s run and bike but same 5.4km route as Monday 1sec/km quicker.
Starting to feel fitter in so far as my breathing is easier so chatting pace is faster than it used to be.
Not used hrm in a while as Garmin broke so would be interesting to see what that is like nowadays hopefully it’s improved.

TriTom

Hot lunch run today, same route all week, pace was 2-3 secs quicker than last run which was 2-3 quicker than the one before that, wore a hr monitor but it must be dicky cos of the sweat as it read 200+ at some points til I wiped the contacts.
Obviously a bit strenuous because of the heat but not a bad run to be honest.

Drhysted

Still going well, although the last two runs in this heat were extremely hard going, on the long (cut short to 8 miles) Saturday I did resort to walking some extremely hot sections.
The Achilles is still showing irritation and my physio informed me Thursday that if it doesn’t improve I’ll have to stop after my 10mile cross country run in November, have some time off, followed by a staged return. Here’s hoping for a sudden improvement.

My running will probably become more structured after tomorrow, as I’m starting a new job and saying goodbye to shift work. Of course having weekends off means I can book more events, I purposely haven’t run this by my physio .

Anyway dispite the excessive heat it’s been another good week, just need the temperature to become more reasonable.

TriTom

Ran last Friday and felt a bit rubbish (time wasn’t too bad though) then had a 24hr bug that wiped the family out for the weekend, felt a bit better on Monday so went for a run an 8km run in the evening when it had cooled down, really enjoyed that run as I was on the verge of talking myself out of it so felt a big sense of achievement it was also a lovely evening.

Ran this lunchtime because I didn’t run yesterday (24hr bug felt like it was coming back) felt better today, got hot at lunch time, felt I was running reeeeally slow but felt I wouldn’t have been able to go much faster (wasn’t planning to anyway) but ended up doing the 5.5km route I’ve done for the past few runs in a a couple of secs/km faster than the previous few which showing an upwards trend.
Feel like this slow running is benefitting my base fitness, not sure when to start adding some speed work back in as I feel ive lost my top end speed.

Might just start adding a quick .5km in to every other run just to give my body a taster so it doesn’t forget what speed is.

TriTom

Lunch run, a lot cooler today, 5.5km @ 5.02 pace, felt like I was plodding, but pace is looking good.
Last proper run was Thursday and didn’t want to go too many days without so I did a 1.6km run off a hilly 45km bike yesterday just trying to keep my hand in triathlon.

TriTom

Lunch run, a lot cooler and slight drizzle, felt pretty good so decided to test the pace, usual 5.5km loop which is fairly hilly average 4:34/km pace.
Felt tough but in a good way, didn’t feel like I was going to fail just the feeling you get when you’re giving a really good effort.
Left leg getting a touch of shin splints, right leg and calves feeling good since I started doing just a few metres of walking with toes off the ground to activate the muscle in the front of my shin and trying to sleep with my feet not pointing.

TriTom

Bit windy, bit warm, slow run planned with a slightly flatter route, 7km @ 5:00m/km pace.
Felt slow and fairly easy so I’m taking that as a good thing.
Slight niggle in left shin but 2 days off running over the weekend will help.

Drhysted

Rather stupidly I went for my long run today dispite my second week in my new job that has involved between 7 to 12 miles walking and over 20 flights of stairs a day (whilst cycling 8.5 miles twice a day).
The run went well however, just pace was down, and it took a lot of effort to keep going. 9.15 miles in 1 hour 20.
Once again I’m icing my Achilles, just hoping it doesn’t swell as much as after last weeks 10 miler.

TriTom

Lunch run in the drizzle, nice steady pace, breathing was comfortable, legs felt comfortable, all in all a comfortable run, 10km at 5:01 pace.
Left leg still felt a bit niggly for the 1st few km but just got better and better through the run, got back to work at 9km and went back up the road to get 10km, ended the run with no niggle.

TriTom

Lunch run yesterday, should have done 5km but did 10km again, felt ok, pace was 4:58/km so quicker than Monday, didn’t have breakfast so started to feel a bit hungry before I ran, ideally should have had something before and would have felt better towards the end of the run but just felt a bit tired.
Need to slow down for next time.

Drhysted

Tuesday and Thursday I endured 30 minute sessions on the dreadmill increasing the pace slightly so my last session was spent at 3 minutes 12kph at the beginning then 14kph until the last 3 minutes which were done at 12kph to cool down, all done at 2degree incline as I find I cannot comfortably run on a treadmill without an incline. These went fine with minimal irritation to my Achilles.
Today I’ve just done a long run totalling 12.3 miles. Heading out felt really good, but I discovered a headwind when I turned which means I probably had tailwind assistance on the first section. At mile 7 I found a wheelchair user with an off-road attachment stuck in soft sand, so I stopped to offer assistance only to find they were testing it to see how well it works with their partner to drag them out, so I left them playing. I also stopped a short while later to refill my flask at a nearby campsite. From mile 8 I discovered that headwind and started to flag. From mile 10 I really started to have to push myself to keep running. Made it home with a reasonable pace of 8:08 minutes per mile. So I’m happy with that, I also think this is my longest run this year without walking.
Just waiting to see how the Achilles is later.

Top Bottom